11.14.2011

toolbox

Every once in a while I come across a neat knitting tool or technique that makes me smile and wonder how I could have previously lived without it. Two of my most recent discoveries came while knitting on my Vodka Gimlet cardigan. The first one is an Addi 12 inch circular needle which I used to knit up the cardigan sleeves.


Much faster than magic loop. Less fiddling with yarn and needles. I was able to finish a full length sleeve in a day which is a personal record for me. I am so glad that I overcame my initial hesitation at using these (they looked so darn uncomfortable). They do take a little getting used to but did not cause any hand or wrist strain as I had feared.

The second new item for the toolbox is a cool joining technique called the magic or double knot. I first saw it demonstrated here by the talented Jane Richmond (scroll down to the last video tutorial). I am always on the lookout for a way to avoid weaving in ends and this is a neat little trick to know. It makes a very strong and nearly invisible join as seen below. Who says that you can't have knots in your knitting?


 So what is in your knitting toolbox?

7 comments:

  1. I like the sound of the magic knot, I'll be checking out that video later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tiny circs. I will use them instead of dpns any day! Had not heard of that knot will have to check into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the close up pic and your arrow pointing to this invisible knot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/15/2011

    Those are both great! I need one of those little circulars -- I'm using DPNs now but I'd love to just have one needle; it makes it so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tiny circs! & thanks for the link to the magic knot, it's going to change my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love adding new tools and methods to my repertoire and I must have those 12" circular needles for the cardigan that I'm in the midst of knitting now. As for the magic knot, I came across Jane's tutorial a couple of weeks ago and have been using it ever since. It really works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool, thanks for sharing the tips!

    ReplyDelete

I would ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ to hear from you!