1.09.2013

under the weather

Both the little guy and myself are feeling a bit under the weather this week. Dratted winter bugs. So we have been eating lots of soup and occupying ourselves with our individual piles of toys.

his pile

my pile

1) Just a few more repeats to go on my Margaret Dashwood Shawl. Hoping that it will be long
enough to wrap around. I also have to come up with some type of closure to keep the wrap in place in the back.
2) Trying to get back to knitting these colourwork mitts. The first mitt was easy and fast, but kind of lost momentum on the second. I am determined to finish these though. If only I hadn't started on...
3) A pair of dipped thermal armwarmers, inspired by, you guessed it, chocolate dipped waffle cones. Yum! Taking notes along the way so I can maybe write up the (free) pattern.
4) Kate Davies' new book. I absolutely ♥ it. Beautiful writing and photography. Gorgeous patterns. I ♥ how she pairs the knitting designs with interesting information on the landscape, culture and history of Shetland. The 10 projects that are derived from the 5 colour stories in the book range in difficulty from intermediate to advance. At the top of my must knit list are the Puffin sweater and mantle. Also thinking of making the jauntily nautical Stevenson sweater and gauntlets, too. Absolutely love how she styled this combination (and the whole book, truth be told. Modern + Vintage + Wool = be still my beating heart)

So many projects to be inspired by and it's just the start of the year! For more inspiration, check out WIP Wednesday over at Tami's. I am also excited to be participating in Yarn Along for the first time. Hoping to jump start my reading this year. Wish me luck!

13 comments:

  1. My past few days has looked earily similar to yours! Lots of playing and knitting and an adult and child very much "under the weather". Heres hoping we all start to feel better soon! Especially the kids....sick kids just break my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/09/2013

    I'm on the brink of casting on the Scatness Tam from Kate's book. I seriously blog-love her! And I agree on the Puffin Sweater. And the Ursula Cardigan. And... And... And...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those fingerless mitt's the "POW" mitts? I super want to knit myself a pair! I hope you start to feel better ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog on Tami's. Hope you feel better soon, great looking projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that you guys are under the weather, but I must admit, I'm more than a little jealous of your toy pile. Can't wait to see what you turn out from that lovely book! Feel better soon, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh how fun; your WIPs are beautiful - I love the chocolate dipped arm warmers, they are super pretty. have a knitty wednesday xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you feel better soon! I'm jealous of your toy pile too. Especially Kate's book and those waffle mitts - yum! My son on the hand, actually recognized some of your son's cars and ran off to find them and play with them ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope this finds you feeling a bit better....but you've certainly found some wonderful 'toys' to keep you occupied during your recovery!!! too many projects...too little time (same song, second verse!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your description of how the Kate Davies book made you feel! I hope you and the boys get well soon. I'm loving your chocolate dipped waffle cone project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to yarn along! I've enjoyed participating over the past year and look forward to your future posts. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you feel better soon! I do love both your piles of toys, though. It sucks being sick, but it's nice to be able to do something to occupy yourself while you don't feel well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. welcome to yarn along! your knits are so lovely, i love them all. i can't wait to see kate's book, i hadn't realized it was out. get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you get well soon! At least you have surrounded yourself with the most amazing toys. I love all things "Kate Davies" ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I would ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ to hear from you!